Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Living on…

I was reading on The Frontal Cortex blog about the limits of technology to capture the world around us and early fears that photographs and cinema would make art and artists obsolete. I found the quote Lehrer posted from one early cinema critic really interesting.

“…but with movement, action, familiar gesture and the words out of their mouths, then death will not longer be absolute, final.”

How comforting I find the images of my Dad, who will be gone 7 years this month. It is strange to me that I find comfort in the still images; frozen bits of memories of those dear to me, yet seeing movies starring actors who have died makes me feel sort of sad and empty. As if somehow seeing their familiar gestures and hearing the words from their mouths emphasizes that they are now lost to us.

My Dad as a young boy with his pup.

Working as a drafter.

Getting married.

Daddy



4 comments:

ScrapbookDBA said...

Wonderful pictures!

Thank you for sharing ...

Lisa_in_AR said...

I agree, it is harder to watch/ hear moving images with sound.
Great pics of you Dad, thanks for sharing.

Denise Felton said...

Oh. My. Gosh. You look so much like your dad! Thank you so much for sharing these photos.

Anne said...

Wow!! You are your daddy made over again! Especially the wedding picture. I swear, I've seen the sweet expression on his face, on your own face a million times.

I guess if your memory of someone is more than just the pictures and the words, then a frozen picture brings you back in time to when they were alive. But the moving pictures of actors - well, that's the only way you ever knew them and there's not that depth of experience to relive.