Thursday, February 7, 2008

Art therapy

I’m a collector of unfinished projects. I have everything from a tri-fold room divider I’ve been “painting” for about 10 years to an unfinished car restoration I embarked on 6 years ago. Working to squelch my tendency to procrastinate and start a new uncluttered life, with fresh eyes I’m beginning to sort out what still fits and conclude everything that doesn’t. The Spitfire is a prime example of a project that no longer fits my life. It only serves to remind me of the past and money wasted. Even if it were magically finished, it is an unwanted weight on my shoulders. That project goes in the discard category. A few of my unfinished projects I’d still like to see completed. One obvious reminder of often started projects I’ve failed to follow through is the painted screen standing quietly unfinished and forlorn in my living room. Completing this visible reminder will be a huge victory in overcoming procrastination and a symbol of accomplishment. My friend Charlisa, who is a very talented painter, has volunteered to provide motivation and lend me a hand in finishing the project. After this emotionally difficult week, I’m really looking forward to some carefree time spent doing “art therapy” and sharing lots of laughs. Even if we don’t finish, I will make real progress toward a goal—and get a chance to catch up with Charlisa.

1 comment:

Denise Felton said...

Ooooooooo! You're so good and Charlisa's so good, this screen is going to be incredible. Instead of thinking of it as an "unfinished project," maybe you can see it as a developing project that has just now ripened sufficiently. Your house is so freakin gorgeous and personal.